Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Science is indifferent to life; it creates both destroyers and preservers, and hence cannot guarantee value. The other lights have gone out, so value stands alone -– fragile, arbitrary, a matter of taste. Everybody knows what is good for man, and everybody knows it differently. The Inquisition was for the good of man, and the witch hunts, ancient and modern... Cruelty, murder, war, slavery -– these are with us now as always. Science has little bearing on what troubles me most... I want to know what is worth struggling for, but science is embarrassed by such a question, ignores it, or so dismantles it into sub-questions that the answers become meaningless. What I know certainly is unimportant to me; and what is important to me I cannot know certainly." – Allen Wheelis, The Seeker (1960)

No comments:

Post a Comment